Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Magical

Hallo Readers!
My title perfectly describes my last European vacation to Rothenburg and Frankfurt, Germany.

Last Friday, Jenn and I left bright and early at 6 am for the train station and from there we took the metro, plane, train to Rothenburg.  All in all it was about 7 hours worth of traveling. :(  We got to Rothenburg around 3:30 and got settled at our hostel and began our adventure.  On the train, we met this family (Grandma, mom, and 2 kids) from New Zealand who were traveling for 2 months and had a TON of luggage, so Jenn and I helped them out transferring trains.  I feel just like my Grandma Patsy here :) 

We found our hostel really quickly and then just walked around the town taking in the sights.  There are no words to even describe just how perfectly wonderful it was.  I LOVE Christmas, so this was the perfect trip for me.  Everywhere there were Christmas decorations, Christmas music, the most WONDERFUL Christmas market and food.  We did some window shopping and grabbed a Doner Kebop for dinner.  We also found this great little stand that sold apfelwein, which is hot cider with a bit of alcohol in it.  It was absolutely delicious and warmed me right up!!  At 8 pm we took a tour with the "night watchman" and got to learn a little bit more about the town.  Afterwards we headed back to our hostel and called it an early night. 

Saturday we got up early and after a wonderful German breakfast of hard rolls, jam, fruit, and coffee we got our day started.  I took a ton of pictures and did all my shopping!  After spending a lot of money and eating a lot of more wonderful German food,  Jenn and I took the train back to Frankfurt to meet her friend Dave, who is studying in Marburg.

We got in around 5 pm, checked into our hotel for the night then walked downtown to the Christmas Market.  This consisted mostly of German food and BOY did I eat.  A cheeseburger, chocolate covered fruit, and a glass of gluwein (which was AWFUL), we met up with some of his friends and had some coffee at a cute cafe to warm up.  We continued to walk around and ended our night at an Irish pub.  Jenn and I called it an early night because we had to get up sooo early for our flight the next day.  We splurged a little on a hotel instead of a hostel and it was well worth it...great beds, a hot shower, and a bathroom to ourselves.  

We got up at 5 the next morning to get the train to the airport for our flight at 7:30.  After I went through security, I was frisked and somehow managed to lose my boarding pass in the x-ray machine.  My day was not starting off so well.  We got back to Madrid around 11 and by 12:30 I was at home, eating lunch with my host family.  I spent the rest of the day resting and doing homework.  By the time I went to bed, I had a terrible fever and felt very sick.

I am still sick, but feeling better day by day.  I've had a LOT to do this week in terms of projects and homework and presentations, but I'm chugging right along, day by day.  I can't believe I'll be home in only 11 days.  It still feels like a dream!  I honestly have no idea what to expect of my emotions in the week and a half to come.  All I know is I can't wait to be home in front of my fireplace watching Christmas movies and spending time with my family (and eating some delicious American food).  

Abrazos como siempre,
Amy

No comments: